Linux on a T520

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sun Sep 4 11:19:53 MST 2011

Thing that companies like HP don't get - I *am* the enterprise and data
center market.  If I had these problems on a $300 frys special, I'd just
rack it up to experience.  This laptop has a retail price of $4200
dollars as an "enterprise class elitebook" (acquired via ebay at less
than a quarter of that :)), so I damn well expect the features to work,
or that customer complaints would sway them to fix it.  But no.

My current employer is an HP shop, which problems like this that "they
can't even get a damn laptop right" makes me want to start deprecating
them in favor of whatever.  Cisco UCS is starting to make inroads in our
shop due to HP having stupid server problems (firmware, much like my
laptop), and I for one am glad, ready with a hammer and nail for HP's
coffin if nothing more than spite.

Sadly, I loved WebOS, at least in functionality - I switches to Sprint
specifically to get a Pre on launch after Verizon refused to let me
legally provision it on their network (I modified the radio firmware
already to work).  After a combination of Sprint's crappy service and
time-after-time frustrating bugs in WebOS, I moved on begrudgingly to
Android back on Verizon and never looked back.  I was looking forward to
Palm eventually getting it right and trying Pre/WebOS again, but once HP
bought them, I knew it was done.  Seems now I was right.

HP simply needs to die already - never again for personal, or where I
have say in my Enterprise.

-mb