OT; phone argument

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 06:36:30 MST 2011

Interesting.  I've set up systems for two people with Verizons 4G usb
dongles and both worked on plugin with Ubuntu 10.10 and on Mint 10.  Speeds
were incredible.  Much faster than my cable.  We did not do anything with
their phones at all (meaning the phones were not used or tethered at all).

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Jim March <1.jim.march at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been impressed by Tmobile's coverage in urban areas, and I still get
> reliable 2G (and even 2G data) in VERY rural areas in AZ including up around
> Apache, Gila and Navajo counties.
>
> Verizon's 4G coverage is a frickin' turd.  It's based on GSM tech, and
> Verizon has, up until now, been a pure CDMA company.  So setting up new GSM
> stuff has been a nightmare for them.
>
> Plus, when I tested their newest 4G data dongle recently I couldn't get it
> to work in Linux at all.  Tmobile's similar-speed 4G GSM setup off my phone
> saw Ubuntu Oneiric *immediately*, solid connection, high speed, no screwing
> around.
>
> And that's *without* rooting the phone.
>
> Jim
>

> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 2:07 PM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com>wrote:
>

>> How is the coverage?  I rarely leave home, however when I do I like my
>> phone to work.  I use Verizon because of coverage alone.  Very few dropped
>> calls and it works everywhere I have been. All along I-8 to San Diego, and
>> I-10 between LA and Phoenix.  All the way down to the border in Douglas.
>>
>> In looking at this it appears I can switch to t-mobile and save a few
>> bucks by dropping my cable Internet, cable phone, and Verizon wireless.

>> Keith Smith

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson