OT; phone argument

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sun Oct 23 07:57:03 MST 2011

Hi Betty!

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 3:41 PM, betty <nicepenguin at webcanine.com> wrote:

> I know this is totally OT but am asking here because you are all -younger
> than me and know more about this stuff, and like me, - like the philosophy
> of open source.
>
> Not that either of these choices is open source but here is the question; I
> currently use a palm Pre and have used palm for many years. If by next year
> someone doesn't pick up webOS I will want to choose between an android and
> an iphone. I lean toward android because it is NOT an apple product. But my
> son, who is your age, i imagine, has an iphone and says he doesn't trust
> google with his contacts etc.
> I don't trust anyone but that is beside the point, it is a fact of life of
> the internet that there is no real security. Besides what is to trust more
> with apple than google?
> What part of the argument am i missing here?
> Thanks for your input.
>
> i use my phone in my businesses and personal life.  i use it for tracking
> for taxes and calendar. i use it when i drive a lot. i am so sad that hp
> gave up on web OS.
> thank you
>
> --
> betty i.
> www.webcanine.com
> information for people
> who care for dogs.

(602) 791-8002  Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype
(623) 688-3392 Google Voice
**
HomeSmartInternational.com

I also am "older", <smile>...

Let's evaluate this:

As far as trust goes, if you have a gmail, hotmail or yahoo email account,
they already "have" your contacts.

Google uses Akamai for caching, so does Apple.  Akamai has long been "in
bed" with federal investigators and open with all data.  The FCC who is
involved with all matter phone, already has the complete instant capacity
(as of 2001 Presidential Order "Patriot Act") to look at all of your data,
including phone contacts, without your say or knowledge.  Both Android and
iPhones  (and PALM) with a working speaker can be "opened" from upstream to
monitor your actions and all those within 20 feet of you.

Google itself as well as Apple have never wrongly disclosed user data
without the user's agreement.

For both you agree to allow your data to be shared for marketing purposes.

If you don't agree to share your location, neither Apple nor Google phones
do so.

Whenever you search using the internet using Google, Yahoo, or Bing, your
demographics are available to various data gathering apparatus (marketing
sold by Google, Yahoo, or Microsoft).

I believe that once you realize all of these things you might quit carrying
a phone all together, however, the FACT remains, that we ALREADY accept
complete exposure and our only choice is to limit our lives by refusing to
use tools under these circumstances?

However, without using the Internet, all of your finances are instantly
available to federal sources (again as of 2001), your whereabouts are
therefore tracked whenever you use your bank or ATM card.  At various places
around the city, state, country, and world, license plate readers "farm"
numbers and feed these to a DHS computer source that crunches demographics
all the time.

At any time all of your information is instantly available, should you
happen to find yourself SIX DEGREES of SEPARATION from someone on the ATF's
most wanted list or a "Patriot" advocating overthrown of the government by
violent means.

There ARE benefits to using Google Apps (especially for domain owners) and
not having to maintain all my Calenders, Phone contacts, and data in more
than one place, since you have to sync your iPhone and import/export the
calendar.  If you lose your phone all your stuff is still available (except
for photos you have not tagged for picasa, etc) for instance.  This is not
true of iPhone.

I suggest that you read the specifications for each phone and critically
evaluate all things while standing in front of the phone holding it.  It's
pretty much a wash after you realize that you have to back up your iPhone
and still lose data.  All apps developers write for both Android and iPhone,
for instance.  All the same apps are available for both, etc.

I have an Android Dell Streak phone - running Froyo 2.2.2 - I like it even
though the Android is developed for practical specifications rather than
DESIGN.  There are also additional open source 3rd party "Operating System"s
like CyanogenMod, that you can upgrade to once you root the phone.

I had a jailbroken iphone and I have a Android now, liking the Android (with
the larger Dell Streak 5 screen) better.  You can also get a VirginMobile
phone that is a FLAT $25.00 a month NO CONTRACT running Android, that you
can TETHER (using 3rd party tools from the App Store) and have internet on
your Desktop, laptop or whatever.

There is the very real fact that you can get a DELL Streak 5 or 7 USED for
about $250.00, but an iPhone is still $450.00 or more yet statistics show
they don't last as long.

I hope this helped to expand your understanding of privacy in our current
world.