Ubuntu Linux losing popularity fast. New Unity interface to blame?| Royal Pingdom

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Nov 30 18:32:45 MST 2011

I used kde for a good year or two, back in the old 2.x days when I first
started using *buntu having used it prior with mandrake.  I moved to
gnome2 because it was incessantly buggy and causing memory leaks in the
ui.  I was prepared to go back to it using 4.7 on oneiric, but there
were enough incompabibilities with gtk apps (oxygen-gtk seems buggy as
heck), and general ui problems I found quickly annoyed me that it didn't
seem worth going forth with.

I tried gnome shell when first fighting with unity, and found that
compiz with gtk3 is the large problem, as it's simply not aware how to
deal with dual framebuffers, or at best manages them poorly.  KDE4
wasn't much better here, still requiring some of the hackery to make it
play nice.  The other half is ATI drivers are still a crapshoot, but the
entire result is simply poor showing for me.

I've got Unity/GTK3 to a somewhat happy spot, meaning simply I don't use
it (cairo-dock ftw!), but I can't hide the stupid top bar even with
menus disabled, and instability is driving me nuts.  I've already had
some data corruption due to it (my flippin' minecraft server I *used* to
run from here corrupted my world - thanks ext).  I think if I turn off
compositing, it'll probably be much happier in general, but part of the
reason I loved ubuntu was the eyecandy with compiz.  That is the cost of
beauty I suppose.

They should simply come out with Gubuntu, Grandma's Ubuntu, slap the
dumbed-down, multi-touch, composited, fondleslab(tablet) Unity goodness
all over it with UI, and let it compete (and die) with apple and
android.  They should however not punish loyalists by imposing it on
them without option.

I'm hoping the gtk2 fork picks up steam honestly, if it ain't broken...

-mb