compress pictures

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 18:05:26 MST 2011

I want to keep the original files I'm going to compress.  Looking through
the man file it looks as if I should use the option '--backup'.
Unfortunately I can't really decipher the manpage correctly. Is backup the
correct option, is there another I should use, or should I just copy the
directories I want to archive? This reminds me of another question I have:
when I append these files from the top level directory will it append the
files under it as well?

--