md5sum

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Nov 28 17:38:19 MST 2011

From: Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com>
> didn't remember umount needing the full line... I thought you just needed
> to tell it the device in /mnt to umount.

machine:~$ mount
[snip]
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/kingston type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,umask=000)
machine:~$ umount kingston
umount: kingston is not mounted (according to mtab)
machine:~$ umount /mnt/kingston
[works]
machine:/mnt$ umount kingston
[also works]

When you tell umount to umount something, you need to give the device or the
mountpoint.  If you give it a relative path, that won't work unless you're in
the appropriate dir.  So I've gotten in the habit of giving a full path when
mounting or umounting things.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows