Linux Mint and whole disk encryption

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sun Nov 27 14:06:52 MST 2011

Ahh, now I see this once i get my pc usable again.  I may just try this
depending on my last results today with Oneiric.  Mint doesn't sound
suitable for power users yet if they're making hacks for
encryption/raid, but at this point can't be any worse than ubuntu.

I have to say, after yesterday I'm pretty much done with Ubuntu.  It
rather pains me to say it, but between simple quality of their releases,
bonehead decisions, and Unity being the biggest boner of them all, it's
really become simple crap to anyone that actually uses advance linux
features.  Guess they only care about the "grandma with her netbook"
market now.

Literally 6-8 hours of dealing with a bug in mdadm from natty (combo
mobo/disks) that wouldn't allow my raid1 to be rebuilt upon boot.  I
couldn't even use Oneiric boot because some genius wanted to save 10k of
binary space in busybox and removed fdisk without putting something to
replace it.  For manually aligning ssd's, parted is not sufficient (I
think), so i had to fdisk from natty's boot cd.  Ugh!

Eight hours later, already past midnight I got Oneiric to boot stable,
then adventures with Unity.  So unity is entirely broken for any
multi-monitor support that uses more than one framebuffer, simply
rendering a white screen, but can however get a generic xwindows cursor
across it normally.  Nvidia twinview works as long as you don't need
multiple twinviews (ati's equivalent i do however need), but I found
(after the fact obviously) that a lot of people have issues with this,
and there is no fix.  Does anyone at Canonical actually test
multi-monitor support with this awful unity desktop?  Geezus!

I ended up installing kubuntu desktop around the 3am mark just to get it
functional, and surprisingly it works pretty darn decent out of the box,
using my ati card for all the desktop rendering goodies ala compiz.
Getting used to KDE again is the trick more than anything as I've not
used it in a good 5 years.  I'm not sure if im going to stay with
kubuntu, or try gnome3 (i think g3 will be broken since unity relies on
it anyways), or simply move to another distro.

I do know at this point I would recommend planning a move from Ubuntu
beyond Natty.  Sadly Fedora seems the most supporting of features I want
due to RH's involvement, maybe I'll try the darkside since ubuntu's fall
from grace is picking up momentum.

-mb