panic

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 21:56:22 MST 2011

I just downloaded it in less than half an hour via the torrent
link...which takes you to the 32bit version by the way...

Oh yeah.  Forgot to mention...you probably want the 32bit version.
Here's why...first, flash player runs better and we still (sadly) use
that a lot.  Second, it's less memory intensive.  If you have 2gigs
RAM, 32bit comes out better than 64.  Once you have 4gig RAM or more
64bit starts to make sense except for the flash thing.  This is
especially true if you're going to do virtualization - run WinXP as a
sub-task, in that case you need all the RAM you can get.

If you're not doing that, 64bit won't do any harm.

If you're doing pure Linux code, 64bit won't gain you all that much
unless you're doing video editing or other really CPU-intense stuff.

Anyways.  For the most part I'd say stick with 32bit on a 2gig box.
If you have a 32bit variant and you bump the RAM up to 4gig or more,
download and use the PAE extension kernel to get access to the extra
RAM with a 32bit setup.

Jim