determining 'arch' -- was: blank

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Fri Nov 25 16:01:23 MST 2011

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011, Michael Havens wrote:

> how do I tell if I have a 32 bit system or a 64 bit?

Functional test:

test booting with a live CD of each type --- a 32 bit only
capable processor will 'choke' on the 64 bit CD -- the 64 will
handle either.  SO .. a 32 bit CD will boot on either type of
hardware

'Read the label' test

Once the unit is up with a 32 bit CD, inspect the processor
strings and verify at the vendor's

 	cat /proc/cpuinfo

If it is a unit with a vendor provided 'build sheet' it may
call out the specific processor and stepping, but be wary here
--- some hardware manufacturer's disable capabilities the
processor has ...   Laptops particularly may have a
virtualizaion capable processor, but such is disabled often

-- Russ herrold