Before I blow windows away....

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Fri Nov 25 12:04:17 MST 2011

If it's a new pc, I wouldn't bother - it's all spy/adware/demo anyways
im sure.  Otherwise just liveboot with a linux cd, pop in a usb drive,
and rsync -avh the ntfs filesystem somewhere in case there's something
you need you forgot.  I usually keep them a few weeks (or whatever if
have the space) and end up deleting it later.

It's easy enough to find a oem windoze cd online, just install in a vm
with your key, and call microsoft to reset your wga for the vm - instant
portable windoze.  This is what I've done with an xp image on
vmware/virtuabox for a good 6-7 years now.  I don't need anything else
considering it's a) always behind a nat for protection, b) never gets
used to browse, and b) just runs visio.  If you move it around, just
don't change the mac or hardware types much or it'll reset the wga bulls***.

Really need something like a portable citrix xenapp for this kind of
thing that doesn't cost a left arm or require infrastructure...

-mb