Need Virtualization Advice

Derek Trotter expat.arizonan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 21:05:27 MST 2011

Mark I understand you don't have the install discs for windows 7.  This
has me wondering if there is some copy protection scheme that makes it
difficult to copy the windows 7 install disc(s).  If so is there a linux
program that will get around it?

Disclaimer:  I'm not condoning the use of pirated software in violation
of any applicable laws where you live.  There is considerable expense
involved in replacing a legit copy of any micro$oft OS.  So a backup
would come in handy.

On 11/22/2011 18:40, Mark Phillips wrote:
> I have managed to fill up my laptop's dual boot (Win 7 and Debian
> testing) 320 GB drive, so I have a new shiny 750 GB drive to install.
> I have tried to use Clonezilla, and it keeps failing because the old
> drive has 512 byte sectors and the new drive has 4096 byte sectors. No
> problem; I will just create a system image of the Windows partitions
> to move that to the new drive, net install Debian testing, and copy
> over my user files.
>
> However, I was thinking that I could get rid of the dual boot and just
> virtualize the Windows partition. My questions -
>
> 1. Can I create a virtual version of my Windows 7 Home Premium using
> the system recovery disk and the backup on my external usb drive? So
> far, it installs to the new 750 GB drive with no issues. I don't have
> any original media disks.
>
> 2. Vmware or Virtualbox? Do either one support usb so I can run iTunes
> on my virtual Windows drive? A while ago I was able to get vmware to
> run off of the Windows disk partition, but it seemed to break every
> time I ran an upgrade on Debian, and it was a pain to get it to work
> each time. I don't want to fiddle with this approach again, unless I
> have to.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions!
>
> Mark

"That income tax you know it's nothing more than legal robbery"
Sidney "Pa" Larkin

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or CC:. Also remove all of the addresses from the message body before forwarding the message. These simple measures prevent spy programs from capturing the addresses shown in the recipient list and the message body.