SCADA/Municipal water system attacks

Derek Trotter expat.arizonan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 09:23:39 MST 2011

I figure that to be 830,584 possible combinations.  That's 26 lower case
letters, 26 more upper case, 10 numbers and the special characters I
counted on my keyboard.  That's 94 possible characters for each of the
three in the password.  94*94*94=830,584.  Of course there are the other
possible characters you can get by holding down the alt key and pressing
a number, or using the windows character map.  Somehow I feel if they're
only bright enough to come up with a three character password, we can
dismiss those possibilities that aren't on the standard US keyboard.  I
could be wrong, but I'm guessing a password cracking program wouldn't
take too long to try 830,584 possible combinations.

On 11/21/2011 0:33, Michael Butash wrote:
> Hah.
>
> "Hacker Says Texas Town Used Three Character Password To Secure
> Internet Facing SCADA System"
>
> http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/hacker-says-texas-town-used-three-character-password-secure-internet-facing-scada-system-11201
>

> Good enough for government.
>
> -mb
>

> On 11/20/2011 03:27 PM, Sam Kreimeyer wrote:
>> I think that most operators generally take whatever data SCADA spits
>> out at face value. After all, how would they recognize what dangerous
>> behavior looks like if they don't understand how these systems work
>> anyway? Let the IT guy figure it out.
>>
>> I think we are witnessing the nascence of an appreciation for just how
>> devastating a vulnerability to industrial control mechanisms can be.
>> The security of these systems has long relied on their own obscurity
>> and the hope that nobody will be particularly inclined to cause havoc
>> with no *obvious* potential for profit. That's why they have that
>> expensive firewall, right?
>>
>> On 11/20/11, Derek Trotter<expat.arizonan at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Same here.  When I first heard of this, I said to myself:  "Bet these
>>> systems run on windows."

"That income tax you know it's nothing more than legal robbery"
Sidney "Pa" Larkin

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or CC:. Also remove all of the addresses from the message body before forwarding the message. These simple measures prevent spy programs from capturing the addresses shown in the recipient list and the message body.