harddisk drive

Derek Trotter expat.arizonan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 17:59:41 MST 2011

I just saw the last paragraph.    Yes sitting outside in a shed for a
year could have hurt it.  I'm sure sitting in a hot shed through an
Arizona summer didn't do the drive any good.  If all else  fails, you
can at least salvage the magnets out of the drive.

However, let's not assume for the moment the drive is toast.  It could
have some life in it.  Assume it is /dev/sda then sda1 will probably be
the only partition on the drive if it only has 1.  If it has additional
partitions on it, sda1 will be the first, sda2 the second and so on.  If
you're going to mount the drive at /mnt/sda1 there has to be an sda1
folder inside /mnt.

If that drive has been setting in a shed for a year, I wouldn't trust it.

In another post I mentioned mountmanager.  It will mount the partitions
for you.

Hope that helps.

Derek