Brookings: CyberSecurity In the Balance - 2 New Bills

Derek Trotter expat.arizonan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 16:02:11 MST 2011

Don't think of anything as too tinfoil hattish anymore.  Not too long
ago, we would have thought it foolish to think the government would tell
us what kind of light bulbs we're allowed to buy.  Beginning on January
1 it will be illegal to make or import 100 watt incandescent light
bulbs.  It won't be too long before I'll have to shine a flashlight into
the oven to see if the pizza is done.  I refuse to put one of those cf
bulbs in there.  I don't want molten plastic and mercury on my tombstone.

Here's something I just thought of.  A list of prohibited websites will
have everyone scrambling for a copy.  People who are looking to download
pirated software will be tempted to get a copy of the blacklist so they
can find ways to get past the blocks to get to sites.  A blacklist will
only make them easier to find.

Did anyone who read the article that started this thread see anything
saying either proposed law would even make an attempt to stop usenet?
Since the laws didn't even mention it, I wonder what newsgroups are
favored by those in congress.