OT: newegg alternatives

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sun Nov 13 22:23:50 MST 2011

While I hate having to whitelist sites with no/notscript, newegg is one
that I'll simply deal with their excessive scripting tendencies.  When
it comes to pc sales, most only get worse from there (buy.com comes to
mind for horrid scripting woes despite sometimes good deals).

The one time in 12 years I was PO'd enough and did complain to newegg
customer service, they ended up giving me an $80 dollar gift certificate
for not delivering on a pre-order special edition game, plus refund of
the cost of the item.  Score, 100% profit for two gripe emails and
having to buy it from gamestop.  ;)

Downside, oem hard disks there are a crapshoot sometimes due to shipping
and inadequate protection of individual disks.  I've been bitten by this
too. I really cannot otherwise complain, and in fact go out of my way to
still recommend them.

Between ample reviews, 98.9% of the time the lowest price, fast/cheap
shipping (from california), and no tax it's a small cost of entry to
enable scripting and stay with newegg.  If you hit a lot of random sites
off dealnews or ben's bargains, you'll appreciate that they're "not that
bad".  I'd trust them with scripting access over amazon.

-mb