Help. I think my boot sector craped out

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sun Nov 13 13:23:53 MST 2011

You need to read this:

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2005/11/how-to-repair-corrupt-mbr-and-boot.html

You need to read down to the newer instructions for the last bit to
reapply grub.  Get a bootable cd, just about any should allow you to do
this usb, cd, or floppy.

How did you lose your boot sector?  Are you sure the disk isn't toast in
general?  Boot a live cd and look at the dmesg info for /dev/sda or
whatever your drive is to it.

dmesg | egrep " ata|sd "

Should give you everything.  dmesg alone often tells quite the tale.

-mb