OT - Ham Radio Towers

Lyle Tuttle l.tuttle at cox.net
Wed May 25 16:03:00 MST 2011

If I recall correctly, several of the members on this board a ham
radio operators.

If so, you might be interested in this info passed to me by a friend:
===================================
I'm working with some ham radio operators who are very upset with
proposed changes supported by The Glendale mayor and another Glendale
official that will tie the hands of ham radio operators within the
city of Glendale. The April 2010 staff report says these new regs
aren't necessary.

However, someone has gotten new regs onto the June 2 city council
agenda that Glendale ham operators must have specified retractable
antennas that the guys can't even find on the marketplace.

I fully understand why people don't want an ugly 75' or more tower in
their neighbors backyard even tho my neighbors had them in N. Phx and
never offended me. I was always glad they were there.

People needs to realize that when disaster strikes and communications
systems ( phones, computers, electric, etc) go down, it is the ham
operators that provide the emergency communications. I've also been
with Kent on several cross country trips when those guys are
communicating emergency messages, i.e. tornado & flood alerts,
highway accidents etc to authorities where cell phones or CB's don't work.

If this Glendale idea spreads across Maricopa County, we are in deep
CENSORED if terrorists knock out our normal communications systems.
Take a look at the Midwest the past 2 days when communications
systems were temporarily down after those tornadoes whipped out
communities. It was the ham radio operators that filled that gap, but
few people even know it.