Being productive with Free Software [Was: Re: Summer Linux Classes at Mesa Community College}

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Tue May 24 20:29:47 MST 2011

A desktop is still a valid role. And as such a class on how linux fills this
role is still valid.

Changing this to fossil or other roles is not a good idea, however classes
related to that are equally valid.
On May 24, 2011 7:39 PM, "Dennis Kibbe" <dennisk at mesacc.edu> wrote:
> Anyone object to my hijacking the subject? Wasn't very descriptive of the
discussion, was it?

> I wonder if we can forget about the idea of a "desktop." With (Linux)
computing being done on smartphones, tablets, netbooks, and in the cloud.
With people sharing documents, collaborating using content management web
apps, etc. maybe the broader topic is showing ways that FOSS and open data
formats can be used to achieve specific (business) goals.

> dennis

I mean the applications that run on top of them, but I understand your
distinction. Regardless of which Desktop you actually use, the software that
folks use on it remains basically the same. So yes, a "Linux Desktop" class
would focus more on the GUI software world for Linux, rather than a
particular desktop environment.