Summer Linux Classes at Mesa Community College

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Mon May 23 19:43:21 MST 2011

On Sun, 2011-05-22 at 22:25 -0700, Dennis Kibbe wrote:
> >It seems to me that "Introduction to Linux" is probably a bad title
> for
> >the class.  It seems from the description it's closer to "Basic
> System
> >Administration of Linux."  I, for one, would hope that we're at the
> >point where the introduction to Linux in general doesn't include a
> >command line.
>
> I start out with Ubuntu since it's easy to install anywhere and has
> good support for VirtualBox. I want students to get excited about
> Linux if they have never seen it before. After a couple of weeks with
> Ubuntu we install CentOS either on the system or as a VM. This gives
> them a taste of the Red Hat way of doing things and lets us explore
> some things (runlevels, GRUB) that Ubuntu makes, well, just too
> easy. :-)
>
> From the beginning I show them how the command line can automate a
> simple task that if done in the GUI would take much longer. We do
> spend quite a bit of time working in the CLI. Some students have come
> back and told me that was the part they liked best about the class.
> Others, well, just don't like to type. (This from the generation that
> can type 30 wpm with their thumbs while navigating an LA freeway.)

That makes sense, to be clear I'm not saying such a class shouldn't
exist, just to the name.  It seems that if I had a company that I was
switching all my secretaries from Windows to Linux I might suggest they
take an "Introduction to Linux" to be prepared for the shift.  Clearly
this isn't a course for them :-)

I think that this is a problem that the "Linux Desktop" has in general.
Too many people associate the term "Linux" with servers and think that
it can only exist there.  That means we'll never win in the consumer
space.  Perhaps that's why it's not "Android Linux" :-)

> I wonder what things will be like in 3~5 years when keyboards are
> obsolete and everything has a touchscreen?

On screen keyboards?  ;-)

On Sun, 2011-05-22 at 21:43 -0700, der.hans wrote:
> While I understand what you're saying, I disagree. Yes, basic GNU/Linux
> desktop usage should not require use of the command line. Classes,
> however, should at least give a basic introduction, especially in regards
> to taking advice from the Internet that involves sudo, su or root :). A
> class is a great place to demystify the command line for those unfamiliar
> with it.

While I'll accept other reasons, this one I won't -- lazy tutorial
writers and blog authors shouldn't be a reason to teach people overly
complex techniques.  And, effectively, continue a mythology that you can
only use Linux if you're a techie or able to use the command line well.
As Linux enthusiasts we need to all work to rid the Internet of these
instructions.  I tried to convince a couple of folks at Google that they
shouldn't index anything with the string "sudo" in it; I haven't been
successful... yet...

> Happily for you they specifically require GNOME knowledge :).

They'll need to upgrade that to Unity knowledge ;-)

		--Ted