Summer Linux Classes at Mesa Community College

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sun May 22 21:43:12 MST 2011

Am 22. May, 2011 schwätzte Ted Gould so:

moin moin Ted,

> On Sat, 2011-05-21 at 11:12 -0700, Dennis Kibbe wrote:
>> CIS126DL - Introduction to GNU/Linux (Section 12448, Summer II,
>> 07/11/2011- 08/04/2011)
>>
>> Introduction to the Linux Operating system. Develop knowledge and
>> skills required to install, configure and troubleshoot a Linux-based
>> workstation including basic network functions. Learn basic command
>> line and Graphical User Interface (GUI) desktop environment utilities
>> and applications. Fundamental abilities to achieve the entry-level
>> industry certification covered. Prerequisites: None.
>
> Hey Dennis,
>
> It seems to me that "Introduction to Linux" is probably a bad title for
> the class.  It seems from the description it's closer to "Basic System
> Administration of Linux."  I, for one, would hope that we're at the
> point where the introduction to Linux in general doesn't include a
> command line.

While I understand what you're saying, I disagree. Yes, basic GNU/Linux
desktop usage should not require use of the command line. Classes,
however, should at least give a basic introduction, especially in regards
to taking advice from the Internet that involves sudo, su or root :). A
class is a great place to demystify the command line for those unfamiliar
with it.

In any case, this is an Intro class in the networking academy where
almost all of the students have been learning IOS. They are required
to take classes on two operating systems other than IOS. Since we only
have classes on IOS, GNU/Linux and Windows, they're all going to end up
taking CIS126DL :). Those students specifically should be getting some
command line experience, even in an intro class. Also, that class is the
first in line for the GNU/Linux Networking degree and I need them to have
some basic knowledge prior to entering my classes. Luckily Dennis and
Phil ( our primary CIS126DL instructors ) do a great job of prepping the
students.

Finally, another college makes the descriptions for these classes (
originating college own a class forever ) and it takes ages for them to
get changes approved. We can't make changes from our side at all. Since
the official course competencies require command line, the class will have
command line :).

http://www.maricopa.edu/curriculum/A-C/042cis126dl.html

Happily for you they specifically require GNOME knowledge :).

ciao,

der.hans
#  "Backups are irrelevant. Only restorals matter." -- der.hans