Buying a Dell and getting a refund for the OS

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Sat May 7 13:21:43 MST 2011

I was thinking of buying a secondhand PC for a web server.  I hear the going rate is about $100.  I don't need much however I thought I would take a look at a minimal system at Dell.

I found this http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=ddcwca11&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&model_id=inspiron-560s

Would easily meet my needs and the price is right at $279+shipping & Tax.

So I contacted Dell and asked about a refund for the OS since I will be running Linux.  I was told they give no refund even if I do not agree with the TOS for the OS.

I know I have heard of others getting a refund however they had to spend a day to get the refund.  Legally I think I am do a refund, however I'm not willing to work the whole day to do so.

Any advice / comments?