Kubuntu 11.04 Problem

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Sun May 1 23:09:21 MST 2011

Most of the missing sound problems I have seen lately have been caused
my support for HDMI sound being added.  If you have an HDMI proport on
your computer/laptop. this is probably what happened.

If you don't ever plan on using HDMI, you can locate the hdmi sound
module with lsmod.  The module name probably has hdmi in it, then add
that module to be blacklisted in a new file in /etc/modprobe.d/

A better, but potentially, less permanent thing to do would be to go
into your multimedia settings, select phonon.  Then move the device that
is names something like "internal audio analog stereo" to be the top
item in the list.  Then at the bottom click on "Apply Device List To".
That will pop up a new window.  Just check off all the boxes and click OK.

Double check that your volume is turned up and see if things start working.

You might need to reboot to get everything to be sorted out as well.

Hope that helps,
Brian Cluff