ASULUG events!

Adam McCullough ajmccul1 at asu.edu
Thu Mar 31 18:53:44 MST 2011

Hello, all!

First off, some introductions.

No, we're not dead. :)

As for me, I'm Adam. I'm the current president of the ASULUG. I finally
decided to get my organizational act together and start putting more than
about five hours a semester into the club.

That being said, we have two events coming up in April. The first is our
first-ever Hack-End. This is scheduled for Saturday, April 9th from 12:00 PM
to 3:00 PM in the ASU MU. To quote Cory, the person who's spearheading the
event:

I'm spearheading a trial event of something that we've dubbed a 'Hack-End'.
> Its similar to an Installfest, but smaller and more about projects than
> installing or presentations.
>
> Basically a Hack-End is a saturday where everyone can get together
> somewhere on campus and socialize, work on projects, and get help with
> whatever they need. It can be linux related, school related, or even just
> tech related. *Each of these events will have a specific task that will be
> worked on during that time period, but you don't have to participate in that
> in order to come*. There will likely be a MAME box to play with, as well
> as other people to just socialize with and get help with any problems you
> may have.

Should be fun. The audiophile in me is excited to see what Cory and company
is going to come up with.

The week after that (Sat. April 16th), we're having our once-a-semester
Installfest.   The scheduled time is from 9 AM to 5 PM at the third floor of
the BAC building (google maps link here:
http://www.asu.edu/map/interactive/?campus=tempe&building=BAC ).

There's free parking at the building directly south of it, here:
http://www.asu.edu/map/interactive/?campus=tempe&decalparking=APACHE+BLVD+PS

There is also a facebook event page here:
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=211599702186163 . (Yes, I know,
facebook, blah. I'm working on getting the real ASULUG website up and
running again.)

Right now we're trying to organize presentations for any skill levels, as
well as side hack projects people can work on when they show up.

If this sounds interesting, (and you're not going to the Linux Security
Hackfest, which is unfortunately at the same time), please show up! If you
have presentation ideas, please let me know!

All best,

Adam