Upgraded from Debian Lenny to Squeeze, and my machine won't boot

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Tue Mar 29 11:04:39 MST 2011

OK, progress has been made....

1. fsck said both internal drives were OK, but i forced it to run anyway. No
errors
2. re-ran grub-install for the 5th time (?) and still no change....reboot
goes right back to grub.
3. discovered that I could boot into 2.6.26 if I used the initrd-2.6.26.bak
file. So did that. The files have different sizes and dates...
4. I looked at men.lst and found that it was trying to chainload into Grub
2. I couldn't get it to run from the grub menu, but then I booted into
2.6.26 and ran upgrade-from-grub-legacy. Hypothesis: the dist-upgrade was
trying to move to grub 2 and so I had a 1/2 grub 1.98 and 1/2 grub 2
install.....The grub 2 upgrade worked, and now I get my typical grub menu
and I can select which linux version to boot into.
5. Booting 2.6.26 causes a kernel panic, but I suspect that is caused by the
bad initrd-2.6.26 file. I seached Debian to find that file, but I could not.
What package do I need to re-install to re-create the initrd-2.6.26? Or the
latest kernel for squeeze is OK, too.
6. Fixed mysql problem. It seems during the dist-upgrade, mysql-server 5.0
was removed, but not the client. So I reinstalled mysql for squeeze, and
aptitude removed the 5.0 client and installed the 5.1 server/client/common
and now it works just fine. All dbs and tables are intact.
7. Fixed some of the X problems - there were some font dirs missing, so
mkfontdir removed those errors. But still no X yet. The error from gdm is:
error inserting i915
(/lib/modules/2.6.21-2-686/kernel/drivers/char/drm/i915.ko) unknown symbols
in module or unknown parameter.

I suspect that my X problem may go away if I reinstall kernel to 2.6.26, or
later. I think something happened in the dsit-upgrade. So, how do I
reinstall the kernel, or upgrade to a newer one?

Thanks!

Mark