Upgraded from Debian Lenny to Squeeze, and my machine won't boot

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 08:12:58 MST 2011

Maybe boot up a live CD and verify the partitioning is what you thought you
had and the contents are as you expect?  Also, I note that in one part of
the message you refer to hda5 and in another you say the message you got
referred to sda5.

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Mark Phillips
<mark at phillipsmarketing.biz>wrote:

> I have made some progress.... When I use these parameters at the grub
> prompt, the machine boots. X is dead, and so is mysql...not sure why, yet.
> However, I cannot change menu.lst to reboot....I always get tossed out to
> the grub menu.
>
> grub> root(hd0,msdos5)      //msdos5 comes from tab completion and is the
> only option
> grub> linux /boot/linux-2.6.21.1-686 root=/dev/hda5
> grub> initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.21.1-686
> grub>boot
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
> > wrote:
>
>> Now I have grub 1.98 installed, but no change. Still go straight to the
>> grub prompt, and when I try the aforementioned grub commands I get these
>> results:
>>
>> 2.2.26: cant read the initrd file
>> 2.2.22: waiting for root file system
>>
>> The wait timed out, and got this error: /dev/sda5 does not exist.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Mark
>> On Mar 28, 2011 2:34 PM, "Kevin Fries" <kfries6 at gmail.com> wrote:

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson