Upgraded from Debian Lenny to Squeeze, and my machine won't boot

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Mon Mar 28 12:43:54 MST 2011

A few more observations....

I tried using grub to attempt to boot. I set up the following based on (1)
what I saw using the knoppix disk that the internal drives were mounted on
/media/sda5 and /media/sdb1...../media/sda5 has the normal linux file system
and sdb1 has my backup folders, and (2) grub's tab completion.

grub> root (hd0,4)
grub> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21-1-686 root =/dev/sda5
grub> initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.26-1-686
grub> boot

I get as far as:
Kernel panic: not syncing: VFS unable to mount rootfs on unknown block(0,0)

If I back down to 2.6.21. or 2.6.18 I get this error:
Begin: mounting root file system...
Begin: running /scripts/local_top...done
Begin: waiting for root file system...

So, I guess my original hypothesis is wrong...the SI drive controller may be
working....except for a small annoying kernel panic or inability to load the
file system....

Does this help anyone figure out what I should do?

Thanks,

Mark