OT: Moving from Cox Consumer to Cox Business Internet and Phone

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Mar 25 02:20:08 MST 2011

Am 24. Mar, 2011 schwätzte keith smith so:

moin moin,

> I'm thinking of moving from consumer cable to business cable with Cox.

It's a good move.

> Currently I have an Internet connection that is shared with up to 349 others with a max of up to 20mb/sec down.  Not sure what up is, might be 2mb/sec. I have a consumer phone line and distinct ringing for my fax.  It comes with a dynamic IP.  Lease might be almost forever though.

Previously, I had a business connection with Cox before, but the 'static
IP' was far more dynamic than IPs were for those on DHCP. Those on DHCP
kept the same IP for years whereas I had my static IP yanked out from
under me a few times. Once they yanked it because they didn't know it was
in use and refused to give it back to me. ~The new customer will stop
working.~, yeah, like had happened to me.

I'm using them again and it's been pretty good. I'm in a not so wired
neighborhood now and there have been some cabling isssue, but customer
service and field techs have been good. Most of the field techs have
walked out with Live CDs :).

I haven't had bandwidth issues, but I'm not a power bandwidth user. I put
up a new torrent and the CD is down in a few minutes. I leave the torrent
up and have no problems.

I would prefer DSL with Deru or other local provider, but can only get
isdn speads on DSL here, so that's out.

I run my own services and leave my torrent feeds up. It works great.

> This move will require a 36 month contract.

Saywha? I think they did hit me for a 12 mo contract, but I'd refuse a 36
mo contract.

ciao,

der.hans
#  ABLEconf - 2011Apr02 - Free Software for Free Enterprise
#  "Metrosexuals notwithstanding, quiche still lacks something." -- David Brin