Sbhacker Cable Modems at PLUG HackFest RoundUp

Taylor, Kaia Kaia.Taylor at schwab.com
Sun Mar 13 19:42:15 MST 2011

Hey Bryan, good question.

Benefits
1. learn how it works
2. unblocking network ports, unlocking hidden features
3. increase upload/download speed
4. +9,400 geek-cred points, d00d. ;-)

Potential dark side
1. violate service agreement with cable company, and/or cable company thinks you have violated the agreement, you get blacklisted for life
2. some folks, but nobody on PLUG of course, might want to change the mac address of their hacked modem and then try to get free service

I thought http://www.securityfocus.com/news/394 portrayed the case fairly well.

Regards,
Kaia Taylor
DevSA  group  --  tis-dco-devsa - jumpword devsa http://dco-sps.schwab.com/sites/devsa/welcome desk 602-977-5157 pager 6025785439 at vtext.com or white pages All e-mail sent to or from this address will be received by the Charles Schwab corporate e-mail system and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the recipient.