How to access a server http port 80 with port forwarding behind a router but require a password

Bryan O'Neal Bryan.ONeal at TheONealAndAssociates.com
Thu Jun 30 18:59:50 MST 2011

I would use htauth on 443. Then do allow denie  and allow only from
your local subnet on 80. Then use modrewrite to move other traffic to
https.

On 6/30/11, Brian Parma <freecode at cox.net> wrote:
> If you only want to authenticate outside users, you could setup a VPN if
> you are going to be accessing it from the same machine (like a laptop).
> You could use temporary SSH tunneling also, which would give access only
> to the machine you are SSHing from.
>

> You might be able to setup a dual HTTP/HTTPS as Judd said and only
> require authentication on the HTTPS, then just forward that port.  I'm
> not sure as I've never tried it.
>

> On 06/30/2011 05:28 PM, Judd Pickell wrote:
>> Before you get too excited, most home network providers don't allow
>> riding port 80. You can always use a different port like 8081 to
>> bypass. Standard Authentication is doable via .htaccess with apache,
>> however you goal is to be secure so you will likely want to setup a
>> HTTPS port with basic authentication in Apache that you will point to.
>> Not the most perfect solution but it does do roughly what you are
>> wanting.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Judd Pickell
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 5:22 PM,<leegold at speedymail.org>  wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
>>>
>>> I have an intranet server behind a NAT router. Very standard linksys
>>> router home setup. The server has a static IP. I used port forwarding in
>>> the router to use SSH and log into the server remotely - it works OK.
>>>
>>> I want no one outside my home network to access any webpages on the
>>> server unless they're authenticated.. I know I could port forward like
>>> with ssh but with http port 80 and then see webpages , but again this
>>> would open it up to anyone with my cable modem's IP - wouldn't it?
>>>
>>> I need a secure way like SSH that requires a password before anyone
>>> could access port 80 and http from the server from a remote network.
>>>
>>> How do I do this? And on the local network people can get served pages
>>> normally as usual. Just remote would need authentication. Must be
>>> commonly done(?)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Lee G.

Sent from my mobile device