Linux & key Loggers

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Thu Jun 30 16:16:27 MST 2011

Mike:

More to make the post complete with all available attack vectors that could
be deployed to install a keylogger on Linux (MAC and Windows):

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 2:09 PM, mike enriquez <mylinux at cox.net> wrote:

> **
> On 06/30/2011 06:55 AM, Lisa Kachold wrote:
>
> Hi Mike!
>
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 5:09 PM, mike enriquez <mylinux at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone on the List know if Key Loggers are a problem in Linux?
>> I don't know a thing about them.  My windows computers get the things all
>> the time.
>> Do I need to worry about them in Linux.
>> Thanks for any comments.
>>

> Unlike Windows, where the attack vector is mainly virus from file
> transfers, in Linux (and Mac) the attack vector is going to be browser
> based.
>
> So if you don't limit javascript trust, you can fall victim to any manner
> of installations, ssh, or infestations from browser based attacks like
> BEef <http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Internet/HTTP-WWW-/BeEF-29854.shtml>.
> This tool will provide a triangulated Host --> Website --> YourBrowser
> attack similar to XSS scripting browser attacks, that opens your entire
> linux (or Mac) system to full control via the Browser (Opera/FireFox/etc).
> A keylogger like the one referenced by Sam would trivially be installed
> without your immediate knowledge.
>
> Of course if you do not properly firewall your home network, have a "cable
> modem" that is subject to hacked firmware, or take your laptop to public
> venues without a proper analysis of open ports or iptables, you can always
> pick up a "hitcher", who could install a key logger or other hack.
>
> Various hardware hacks also exist, similar to tiny USB devices that can be
> setup on your keyboard or monitor between connections, which are commonly
> used by IT managers in NOCs and Operations Centers (where oblivious
> Operations and Systems staff continue to surf Facebook rather than actually
> work).
>
> Regularly reading the logs, setting up reporting devices that inform of new
> files or packages and of course watching packet traffic by port on a regular
> basis will assist you to identify keyloggers, as well as BEef and XSS
> browser hacks, since you will clearly see a great deal of nepharious
> traffic.
>
> Of course if you allow 3rd Party Cookies and don't control Javascript, you
> are just laying on a large number of "adware" and other installations that
> create traffic.  Be sure you use NoScript or another Javascript trust
> control plugin at the browser level.
>
> It is recommended that ANY systems user always have a fairly realistic
> understanding of network trust, packet ports and "regular traffic".
>
> Also, beyond KEYLOGGERS, everyone needs to know that EVERY SINGLE SITE YOU
> GOOGLE, every place you visit can trivially be cross referenced from other
> sites for which you authenticate to provide AT A GLANCE NSA and DHS data
> that will provide a complete profile.  This includes CHAT LOGS, Warez sites,
> TORRENT, and porn sites.
> [...]
(which you open without updating your Adobe Browser Plugin or other
applications for all known exploits) and JPEGs (executable files which I can
trivially [bind to an .exe file for Win7 powershell fun] or include Unicode
UTF or BOM characters that can and will setup cron jobs (to open a reverse
ssh session to my hacked server at a certain time of night for instance) or
wget a keylogger [since this is the subject we are discussing here in this
PLUG post] when "opened") you are opening new attack vectors for Linux (or
even specifically addressed to you by an associate)  [an excellent reason to
obfuscate your "real identity" at 2600 Club meetings....].