Help avoiding using terminal editors

leegold at speedymail.org leegold at speedymail.org
Wed Jun 29 12:32:14 MST 2011

Hi,

I have a local server where I am root. The server has no Xwindows on it.
I access the server by ssh for a command line or by filezilla to
transfer files w/sftp. I want to be able to edit text files with a GUI
editor via ssh or via sftp. I can edit with ssh with "$sudo nano
filename" only. It's driving me crazy. I can't stand nano, vi, emacs or
any terminal based editor. I need to be root to edit these files in
/var/www. I am using Ubuntu server for the server. I want to use an
editor with windows like Geany or anything like it. I only have enough
permission in my /home to use a GUI editor else I need to sudo.

I was thinking of a script to send a copy of a file over to my /home
then use Filezilla, then a script to sudo cp and overwrite it back to
/var/www. Still a pain. Is there any way in my situation to be able to
use a GUI editor and not have to use a terminal editor?

I may not of explained it clearly, sorry...also I have to sit an look at
these files for long periods - for me a terminal editor I'm not
productive on.

Thanks,

Lee G.