DefCon for kids

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Tue Jun 28 19:19:45 MST 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Lee Reynolds <Lee.Reynolds at asu.edu> wrote:
> The human brain doesn't recognize consequences until age 25?
>
> That sounds like a bunch of nonsense to me, the kind of stuff that is used
to make excuses for adults acting like overgrown adolescents.  Perhaps the
issue is not a matter of neurological development, but a matter of parents
allowing their grown children to persist in a child-like state until they
are almost 30.  I'm only 38 myself, but I do remember the days when growing
up meant you grew up.  Maybe you went off to college, maybe you joined the
military, maybe you lived with your folks but paid serious rent while
attending college close to home.  But whatever you did, you were expected to
be an adult, not a child.  Today many people in their early 20's are still
living with mom and dad as if high school never ended.  Allowing someone to
persist in that kind of a cocoon is a great way to wind up with someone who
at first glance does not appear to understand consequences, when in truth
they've simply never had to function in life as a normal adult.

> </rant_mode=off>

I am not sure if it would be called "junk" but it's neuroscience backed up
by long behavioral studies and statistics, as well as imaging.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=consequences+brain+age+25&aq=f&aqi=&aql=f&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=1df85bb4ccbea692&biw=900&bih=330

> Lee Reynolds
> Tech Support Analyst Sr
> ASU Advanced Computing Center
> GWC-178
>
> 480.965.9460 (Office)
> 480.458.7434 (Mobile)
>
> Have an A2C2 related question or problem?
>
> Just send an email to the following address detailing
> the nature of the question or problem and a service request
> will be created automatically:
>
> support at hpchelp.asu.edu

Brown

http://mychildssuitcase.blogspot.com/2011/06/channelling-energy-of-geeky-techy-kids.html

>> There is a good deal of material presented at DefCon that gives
>> credence and lip service to breaking laws without consequences.  Youth
>> are already at a disadvantage since the human brain does not recognize
>> consequences until around 25 years old, while being required to be
>> accountable since the age of 18.
>
> This sounds like junk science. Kids as young as 2 and 3 lie to avoid
> getting into trouble which suggests they understand consequences for
> their actions.
>
>> I would carefully counsel your daughters and sons about some of what
>> is presented, the current state of government surveillance in America,
>> and exactly where and when they have encroached private property and
>> consequences.   A good example is the back page of 2600 magazine where
>> jail inmates are given free classified space to write desperately for
>> penpals from jail for such crimes.

(602) 791-8002  Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype
(623) 688-3392 Google Voice