Router Hacks

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Tue Jun 28 08:44:22 MST 2011

HI Nathan,

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 10:56 PM, Nathan England <nathan at paysonlinux.org> wrote:
> I have an Actiontec PK5000 Qwest DSL modem that is no longer being used as a
> DSL modem. I would like to continue using it for a wireless access point as
> it has a detachable antenna and I can connect it to my 12 dbi antenna
> outside. I currently have a netgear WG602 which is a real piece and it is on
> its last leg. The netgear however is running dd-wrt. I would love to put
> dd-wrt or something similar on the actiontec, but I cannot find any custom
> hacks out for it. Are any of you doing anything special with one of these
> modems ??

This Actiontec PK5000 is advertised as "functionality as good as a
WHR-HP-G54 running Tomato or DD-WRT" in all the literature.

dd-wrt:

Currently there is no port of dd-wrt for the Actiontec PK5000.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7807

It is running busybox so you have telnet available to look around.
It has a similar CPU to Avila, but there has been scant effort to port it.

I believe there was an issue with Qwest proprietary portion of the
firmware and copyright, as well as memory utilization precluding a
swift port.

tomato:

No port available.

Sorry!

You might be able to upgrade your current firmware to the latest and greatest:

http://portforward.com/routergui/Actiontec/PK5000_-_Qwest/Upgrade_Firmware.htm

> Nathan

(602) 791-8002  Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype