Rackspace email & DNS

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Fri Jun 17 20:15:18 MST 2011

Google Apps free edition started with 100, dropped to 50 pretty quick, and last month they dropped to 10 for the free edition.

The corporate "Business" edition has always been unlimited users at $50/year/user.

The paid version has 25G of storage per account which is available across all Google apps.

Many companies (even very large ones) find it useful to pay for Google Apps for the following reasons:
1) It costs a typical large company more than $50/year just for email due to a combination of server licenses, client licenses, and (mostly) staff time to maintain the system.
2) Google Apps allows the corporate IT to control use of Google Docs, calendar, photo sharing, etc...  Most IT groups have discovered their employees will use it anyway, and if they don't control it then people will do things like accidentally share their spreadsheet with corporate sales figures with the whole world.  If the company has a Google Apps account they can default to sharing *within the organization* instead of the whole world.
3) Having email, calendar, and shared documents on Google Apps reduces the need for corporate staff to handle backups and disaster recovery.  A simple onsite backup for audit also serves as an "offsite" backup for D/R because the main systems are somewhere else.
4) The Premium version ($75/user/year) adds powerful corporate audit compliance features that typically cost far more than $25/user/year if hosted in-house.
5) Google Apps has clients for major smartphone systems (esp. Android, naturally), so employees can use their phones to get email, calendar, and view documents (even light editing/collaboration) on whatever smartphone/tablet system they might have.

It's not for everyone (with the reduced number of "free" accounts, there are a lot of small businesses for whom it doesn't make sense), but it's surprising to me how many companies would (and often do) find it to be a strong value.

That said, if you really just want pure email that's as low-cost as you can get (while still being fairly reliable), Rackspace is pretty reasonable (although it doesn't work with as many "desktop" client systems, and doesn't have any phone-based clients I know of).

Hopefully that helps.