ssh question

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 08:49:31 MST 2011

These machines are all gigabit ethernet and connected to the same gigabit
switch with little network traffic at the time of these attempts.

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Joseph Sinclair
<plug-discussion at stcaz.net>wrote:

> A connection timed out usually occurs due to:
> 1) The ip address has no host (ping the same IP address, then use telnet to
> connect to port 22)

I realized after sending the message I should have included the successful
ping of lapdog2 which was done by name.  Telnet also fails.

2) tcp wrappers is dropping the connection (check /et/hosts.allow and
> /etc/hosts.deny on lapdog3)

Nothing but comments in either file.

> 3) the firewall on lapdog3 is dropping the connection (check the firewall
> configuration on lapdog3 via iptables-save or ufw status)

ufw status was inactive at that time.  As far as I can tell this morning,
iptables says nothing about port 22 or ssh though last night I could have
sworn it did and said to accept.  In any case, I get the same result this
morning though I am on a different machine trying to ssh to lapdog2.

> 4) SSHD is not on port 22 or dropping connections (check sshd configuration
> on lapdog3)

It is using port 22.  I do not know how to check for dropping connections.
I did check syslog and dmesg/messages.  NOTE: lapdog2 is able to ssh to this
machine but then ssh'ing back to lapdog 2 gives the same results as doing it
directly on this machine.