ZoneMinder Video - Configuration

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Jun 16 10:32:46 MST 2011

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, Jim March wrote:

> Zoneminder...umm...
>
> IT'S A TRAP!
>
> Seriously, it's the most hideously evil critter around.  It's
> basically the worst form of open source project.  MASSIVE
> dependencies.  Not just Video4Linux, but Apache, MySQL and more.
> Hell, for best efficiency you need to set the disk up as ReiserFS due
> to the bazillion tiny files it creates.

so harsh ...

I packed up all the dependencies for doing the install under
CentOS 5 is less than 2 hours.  No big deal

It DOES splat all over SELinux, but as most Zoneminder
installations (such as the initial inquirant's usecase) are
dedicated to function without end user accounts having login's
(I cannot believe I am saying this), it is probably OK to
disable SElinux in this particular case

Writing the SELinux rules takes less than a couple of hours
running the darn thing (I did it), but ... I'll agree that
THAT is a bear, due to the overly formal approach that SELinux
doco takes [or perhaps, as there is not enough 'real world,
'Joe Admin' entries out there for Google to find  ;) ]

I tried to add to the ZM and SELinux pile with:
 	http://orcorc.blogspot.com/2011/05/what-not-to-buy-dynex-13mp-webcam.html
which blog post enumerates the dependency chain in install
order ... I dunno that I ever 'pushed' the soluton out to FTP
space, but I could ...

-- Russ herrold