GCC search path

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Thu Jun 16 09:19:26 MST 2011

Hi Nathan,

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Nathan England <nathan at paysonlinux.org>wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Nathan;
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Nathan England <nathan at paysonlinux.org>wrote:
>>
>>> I am having a problem compiling X and some of the drivers. I get things
>>> such as:
>>>
>>> ../config.h:4:25: fatal error: xorg-server.h: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> yet xorg-server.h is in /usr/include/xorg/xorg-server.h
>>>
>>> Why is gcc not searching directories inside my /usr/include directory?
>>>
>>> I have tried editing the config.h to point to xorg/xorg-server.h which
>>> works until the next file fails... I tried adding
>>> CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/xorg" which works also, but then gcc no longer
>>> searches anywhere else in the /usr/include dir.
>>>
>>> I am at a loss. I have compiled dozens of programs on this so far and not
>>> a single problem... until X. What am I missing?
>>>
>> What is your path?
>>

> I have not put anything in abnormal paths. X is installed using
> --prefix=/usr and the include .h files are in /usr/include/xorg/...
>

>> What is the distro and version please?
>>

> this is an LFS system from current svn lfs and blfs
>

>> Example:
>>

>> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-kernel-70/removal-of-include-linux-config-h-file-in-2-6-19-kernel-506363/
>>
>> Is this a package rather than compiled version of Xorg?
>>

> I am not interested in pre-compiled stuff, which is why I am compiling
> myself.
> I've never encountered an issue with gcc not finding any .h file in the
> standard /usr/include directory before.
>

>> Versions please?
>>
>> Are you compiling a VPN client against this?
>>

> no. So far, only the xf86-input and xf86-video drivers. Specifically evdev,
> keyboard, mouse, joystick and intel drivers.

Let's review:

You have the following error compiling X and some of the drivers:

../config.h:4:25: fatal error: xorg-server.h: No such file or directory

You didn't let us know what your path statement looks like, but you state
that you can locate xorg-server.h.

Your distro is LFS (no kernel version reported).

Answer:

0) This error means that the file is not in the path you have set for the
include file.

1) Or you do not have permission to read that file from the user you are
attempting to compile from.

2) Or (since it's reported as 4:25) line 25 in xorg-server.h calls a header
file that was not included in your build version.

# locate xorg-server.h

-I /usr/include/xorg/xorg-server

Reference:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4538079/how-to-compile-a-simple-source-file-with-gcc-in-linux

Quote:

Other than purely for convenience reasons, it is still better to install all
the relevant development packages from the repository because the headers
you've downloaded may not match binary libraries you are planning to link
against. If they do not and if they aren't binary compatible, you find
yourself in deep trouble. apt-file search and apt-cache search commands are
very useful in finding out the particular package name you need.

End Quote

And Nathan, it's always best to qualify your source.  One does not expect an
electrician doctor to understand mechanics, even though they both relate to
a house repair?

Ask on xorg forums making sure to include EACH EXACT VERSION of package you
are trying to compile against and the kernel version and distro.

--
>> (602) 791-8002  Android
>> (623) 239-3392 Skype
>> (623) 688-3392 Google Voice