GCC search path

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Wed Jun 15 12:21:44 MST 2011

I am having a problem compiling X and some of the drivers. I get things such
as:

../config.h:4:25: fatal error: xorg-server.h: No such file or directory

yet xorg-server.h is in /usr/include/xorg/xorg-server.h

Why is gcc not searching directories inside my /usr/include directory?

I have tried editing the config.h to point to xorg/xorg-server.h which works
until the next file fails... I tried adding CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/xorg"
which works also, but then gcc no longer searches anywhere else in the
/usr/include dir.

I am at a loss. I have compiled dozens of programs on this so far and not a
single problem... until X. What am I missing?