Looking for Ideas to facilitate group communication on the road

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Mon Jun 6 17:02:55 MST 2011

Some feedback on the google voice idea....

A. I set up a new phone number and tried to add other phone numbers for
forwarded texting. The only hitch is that the new phone number requires a
verification code be sent from an sms on that phone. It makes sense, or
someone would use google voice to spam everyone. It looks like I get a
different verification code every time I add a new phone number.

It does not seem practical to have all the club members get a verification
code and respond to a text message from google voice.

B. I don't see a way for someone to send a text to a smaller group than
everyone on the list. I have two teams, so the 12U folks don't want to see
the 14U texts, and vice versa.

But the google voice number is a great idea. I can give out that number and
say - "use this to send sms to everyone".

I was thinking of google voice forwarding the sms to an email account, and
then have a script of some kind parse the email and send the message back to
everyone's cell phone using the email to sms gateways that the carriers
provide. I could then have a tag in the sms "to:xxxxx" where xxxx could be
one person, and the email parser could find it and send the messages
appropriately. Adds a delay, but I don't see another solution.

To restate the problem: How do I provide a group of people a way to
send/reply to sms messages to anyone in the group, or a subset of the group,
or one person without relying on any special cell phone capability (such as
group sms or email)?

Thanks for any other suggestions you may have!

Mark