log out question

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Sat Jun 4 22:45:10 MST 2011

Not quite what you're looking for, but timeoutd is a tool for limiting time in sessions, including idle time.
Stephen is correct in that the typical requirement is to lock the session (require a password to continue), rather than logout, since logout would have to exit all of your running programs, and most people don't want to loose their magnum opus in LibreOffice Writer just because they had to take a coffee break and forgot about the auto-logout.