What are the most stable distros?

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Thu Jul 28 21:39:14 MST 2011

On the RedHat side, RHEL and it's derivative CentOS are the stable systems.  Both are targeted at Enterprise use where stability far outweighs updates.  That said, RedHat does backport some new features and applications when there is sufficient demand in the enterprise space.
On the Debian side nothing is more stable that Debian Stable (Currently Squeeze released a few months ago).  Ubuntu LTS releases are *supposed* to be stable but in practice the Debian upstream is more stable.

In either case, the system will only have a new release every couple years at most (sometimes 3-5 years go between stable releases of RHEL or Debian), so you *will* eventually encounter missing features and/or new applications that simply won't run on the stable distributions.

If stability is your primary consideration, I'd go with RHEL/CentOS or Debian Stable.

If you want a more simple/minimal desktop, then use a desktop based on XFCE or LXDE if you need compatibility.
If you just want the most minimal GUI possible, then something like JWM, WindowMaker, or similar minimalist GUI environments may work well for you.

The following are my general recommendations for stability vs. up-to-date, note that the complexity of these starts with "anyone can manage this", and ends with "expert-only/you'd better have lots of free time":
  If you want a more balanced approach between stable and up-to-date, then Ubuntu LTS releases, some Fedora releases, and certain LinuxMint releases (the ones based off of stable or LTS releases) will likely fit the bill.
  If you want new features and applications faster, but don't want to learn new desktop paradigms all the time and want something a smidge more tested, then consider a distribution based from Debian testing (such as the upcoming LinuxMint releases), a current Fedora release, or *most* Ubuntu releases (delay upgrade by a month or two and read the forum posts to see how stable it is).
  If you want the most bleeding edge possible, then something from Debian Unstable (such as Sidux), some Ubuntu releases, a Fedora release candidate, or a Gentoo-type system may be for you.
  If you want absolute control over what is updated and when, then you can install Debian Stable and run your own Debian package proxy mirror (and only bring in packages when you want them), install Fedora and your own Fedora package proxy mirror (same update policy), or use Gentoo and only emerge what you want and when you want (and handle the dependencies yourself).
  If you want down-to-the-metal absolute control over every aspect of the system, build your own distribution per Linux From Scratch or something similar and build all applications from source (and handle all dependencies, build issues, etc. yourself).