ubuntu host web access is slower than windows guest vm

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 16:58:40 MST 2011

As to the Name resolution issue, there is a difference between Windows Name
Service (WINS) and Domain Name System/Servers (DNS).  You can do your own
serches for the details, but here are a couple of articles you may find
useful:
  http://news.hitb.org/content/wins-vs-dns (OLD but simple)
  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc750589.aspx (Microsoft
article on integrating them)

A simpler answer for you might be to turn on DNSMASQ in your router if yours
supports that.  It basically caches DNS resolutions for requests going out
through the router as well as  the names of systems on your LAN getting IPs
from the router.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Josh Coffman <joshcoffman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I used to lurk/participate a long time ago. I'm having an ubuntu related
> problem which I haven't been able to figure out or find and answer for. I
> have an ubuntu 11.04 64bit machine which I use to host a windows 7 64bit vm.
> This LAN here is primarily a windows environment. The problem is that web
> access is excessively slow from the ubuntu host but nice & fast on the
> windows vm. Actually, I also cannot access any local network machines by DNS
> name which tells me there is a DNS problem. Again, this is only on the
> Ubuntu side; the windows vm works fine. I tried using the google nameservers
> for ubuntu but that doesn't make a difference that I can tell. I also don't
> see the problem by comparing the network config for the windows vm and
> ubuntu. Oh, and I did make sure ipv6 is disabled because we aren't using it
> here.
>
>   I would really appreciate any help with this. Let me know what
> information I should post if anyone cares to help figure this out.
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson