PHP preg_match question

Ben Trussell azlobo73 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 21:42:08 MST 2011

Ah yes, I also forgot the uppercase chars

    if ($vaidateStr == preg_replace("/[^a-zA-Z0-9\-]/", "", $vaidateStr)) {
       /true, or valid...
    }

BTW also as Eric says, the carrot (^) inside the square brackets means
"anything but" (negation), thus how this works..

Ben

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Eric Cope <eric.cope at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is the regular expression:
>
> /^[a-zA-Z0-9\-]+$/
>
> the ^ requires the pattern match at the beginning of the string.
> The + requires at least one of these characters, but no upper limit. You
> can use * if you don't need the lower limit of 1.
> $ requires the patten match all the way to the end of the string.
> The dash requires escaping, hence the back slash.
>
> http://www.regular-expressions.info/anchors.html
>
> Thanks,
> Eric
>
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 8:34 PM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com>wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an input string that should only be lower or upper alphas, numbers
>> and can contain a hyphen.
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out how to get PHP preg_match to verify the input
>> string only contains these chars.
>>
>> I tried some thing like this and it always returns true if I have one or
>> more of the specified chars, even if I have a char that is not specified.
>>
>> I need a true for any string that contains Alphas and/or numbers and/or
>> one or more hyphens.  I need it to return if the string contains anything
>> else.
>>
>> preg_match("/[a-z0-9\+\-]/", $vaidateStr)
>>
>> I do not need to use preg_match, I'm looking for a simple solution.
>>
>> Any pointers are much appreciated.

---
Ben

*print ''.join(map(lambda x: chr(x), ( (ord('a')-(3*5)),
int(math.sqrt(math.pi*76)*5+2), int(math.ceil(math.e)*28),
int(math.floor(math.e)*35), long(abs(4%3*35+3)*2))))*