Re ext hdd

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 21:26:07 MST 2011

If you're looking for something along that nature (separated daily
directories, but using rsync and keeping redundant disk usage to a
minimum), a good choice is a scripted package called Rsync Vault
Manager.  (http://freshmeat.net/search?q=rsync+vault+manager&submit=Search)
 It uses rsync as it's backend tool, but creates a logic code around
it to organize the backups.

I had it in place when I worked for Vistacare a number of years ago,
and it was absolutably the most spacdangtacular thing.  It did the
daily unique directory, but created hard links when a file did not
change between the last backup and that particular backup.  It
preserved lots of space, yet made it easy to restore from any backup.
A simple copy sufficed at any time.

--Dan Lund of John Smith in Charles Town, Virginia (now West Virginia)
December 2, 1859