Is it possible to extract the root password from the file system?

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sat Jul 16 20:54:11 MST 2011

There are alot of password files and dictionary lists on various sites.
Backtrack5 contains a good number.

But I imagine that it's either not allowing root via ssh or you have the
wrong username.

Or it's a truely random string.

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 10:33 PM, Mark Phillips
<mark at phillipsmarketing.biz>wrote:

> Since this is a drive buffalo, I might try ettercap ssh downgrade attack:
>>
>> http://openmaniak.com/ettercap_filter.php
>> ttp://sites.google.com/site/clickdeathsquad/Home/cds-ssh-mitmdowngrade
>>
>> Not sure how a man in the middle attack will work, since I don't know the
> password to begin with...
>
> Or Hydra:
>>
>> Hydra Instructions:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CP-JB4QARo

> openwall. No luck. Do you have any better password lists?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

(602) 791-8002  Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype