Is it possible to extract the root password from the file system?

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Fri Jul 15 20:03:03 MST 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com>wrote:

> Mark,
>
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 6:56 PM, Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
> > wrote:
>
>> Lisa,
>>
>> John the Ripper has been running for almost 2 days trying to crack the
>> password....still no success.
>>

> I think it's hung.

Nope. the log file keeps spitting out what it is testing. I stopped it today
and moved the process to another machine. You can see the results as
reported in the log file at http://pastebin.com/pBZHfAS2 when I stopped the
program . The other machine is slower (about 1.85 times slower, so it will
take until Monday for it to catch up....the original machine was a x64, and
the new machine is an i386, so I couldn't resume on the new machine). I will
let you know if it finds the password after a week or two....;-)

> What options did you pass it?

None. Except that I used another program that came with john to join the
passwd and shadow files into one file. John needed that. I can send you the
passwd  file if you are interested.

> Did you feed it a dictionary file?

Just the one that came with john...

> It probably has a different encryption format than the linux john is on.
>
> What ports are open on the thing?  SSH?  You can try ettercap with arp
> spoof MITM?

SSH seems to be open since it asks for a password. rsync and telnet are all
that I know. There is a java "hack" program acp_commander.jar that will
connect with telnet, but I do not get any response from the device, although
it says it is connected. acp-commander.jar use to be the way in, but since
firmware version 1.41, it has not worked.
http://downloads.buffalo.nas-central.org/TOOLS/ALL_LS_KB_ARM9/ACP_COMMANDER/,
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Open_Stock_Firmware and my
particular box.

I have downloaded the firmware for the box and modified it to accept ssh
login without a password (using ssh keys). I just have not been able to
reflash the unit. The web interface only flashes what it downloads from
buffalo.com. The windows program the box came with does not have a way to
flash the unit. Embedded in the firmware download is a windows exe which is
supposed to be a program to flash the unit....just haven't had the
intestinal fortitude to try it out...I need to find the "way back" in case I
brick the device, and I haven't had time to research that.

Thanks for your interest!

P.S. You have no idea how hard it is to not type "dear john" every time I
refer to the program "john the ripper".....;-)  anyway, back to TGIF
time....;-)

Mark