Ubuntu Question #2

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sun Jul 10 05:38:43 MST 2011

Mark,

It was great meeting you yesterday at MakerBench.  Your latitude is sweet to
be sure.

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently, that icon links to Evolution.  Word is that in 11.10 it will
> link to Thunderbird.  I've not seen anything that will link that icon
> directly to gmail.  It may be possible but I do not know.  Most users that
> want to get gmail via that icon set up evolution to use the gmail servers as
> in:
> http://equbuntu.wordpress.com/2010/09/29/evolution-gmail-settings/
>
> There are also gmail notifiers you can use such as:
> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/tag/gmail-notifier-ubuntu-natty
>
> Larry
>
> On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 8:27 PM, Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz>wrote:
>
>> How do I "fix" the email icon in the upper right corner of the screen to
>> go to gmail and not evolution? Fresh install of Ubuntu 11.04, dell Latitude
>> c640. It also has chat, broadband, etc when I click on it. What is "it"
>> called - there is no tooltip.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Mark
>>

>> Larry has the answer here to be sure.

I want to caution you about system modifications that are too invasive.
But you can add whatever applications you like to the toolbar.

While using evolution is not as secure as accessing gmail via Browser
(assuming you keep your browser uptodate and run NoScript javascript control
mechanism), it is a nice powerful tool.

It's also nice to be able to get your system to email your logs to you via
GMAIL RELAY (sSMTP is easiest).  You will be able to pipe command line
configurations directly to email also:

One only ONE:

Using sSMTP:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-use-gmail-as-a-smarthost.html

Using Postfix:
http://blog.jonloh.net/11/04/2010/postfix-gmail-smtp-relay-ubuntu

NOTE:  I also setup /etc/aliases (edit the last line for root to go to your
email address at gmail) so I get root mail and logs.  After editing the
/etc/aliases file, be sure to enter the command "newaliases" to invoke your
changes.

--
(602) 791-8002  Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype