Extended Attributes

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 15:40:58 MST 2011

Thanks Matt!  That should help explain what few things might show up but
this seems like a fairly rare occurrence and unlikely to be of use to most
people or students at least until a system administration class.

Just for grins though, I'd still like to find something that shows the
positional usage for the output from lsattr.  Perhaps there is a clue in
that man chattr shows 18 attributes and lsattr shows 19 (by my count)
positions in the attr list.

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net>wrote:

> From: Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com>
> > Joseph mentioned the command lsattr which I had forgotten about so I read
> > the man page and tried it.  I can find no explanation of the meaning of
> the
> > results.
> >
> > --------------I--e- /var/log/bootchart
> >
> > While http://linux.die.net/man/5/attr gives a fair explanation of what
> > extended attributes are used for, I've found nothing to help interpret
> the
> > attributes displayed by lsattr.
>
> "man chattr" says:
>
> The ’I’ attribute is used by the htree code to  indicate  that  a
> directory  is
> being  indexed  using hashed trees.  It may not be set or reset using
> chattr(1),
> although it can be displayed by lsattr(1).
>
> ...which is a bit strange, but whatever.  Not that many of the attrs
> described
> in the man page for chattr actually look useful, though the "i" attribute
> might be interesting for some things that are rarely modified and really
> important (like libc, or inittab, or grub.conf).
>
> --
> Matt G / Dances With Crows
> The Crow202 Blog:  http://crow202.org/wordpress/
> There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson