RFC - Linux Command Cheatsheet

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 12:04:00 MST 2011

Good job Dennis.  Of course everyone, including me, may have suggestions.

   - pg 1, top of column 2:  please verify that user#host:~/dir is
   sufficient to sync
   - Caution that runlevels are not standard across distributions and can be
   modified
   - Instead of Ubuntu and CentOS pkg mgmt, maybe deb and rpm based pkg mgmt
   - drop more if it helps, after all less is more
   - alias, chmod, chown, passwd

A more general note is that I find most cheat sheets spend way too much
space on the things the user doesn't need reminders on after the first day
or two.  Before I looked at yours, I was going to suggest a short section
that just listed the most common commands without explanation since they are
not likely to be forgotten.  A corollary could be a section only listing
further commands to explore.  After looking at your sheet, neither seems
practical.

Larry

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Dennis Kibbe <dennisk at mesacc.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 13:26 -0500, Sam Kreimeyer wrote:
> > Hello Dennis,
> >
> > If it doesn't make your cheatsheet too verbose, I would highly
> > recommend adding in |, >, and <. I use them very often, and they open
> > up a lot of options for a user.
> >
> > It may be going a little beyond the basics, but sed and awk are also
> > really handy to keep in mind for altering files and streams. I think
> > that they can do a lot of work most people assume they can't do or
> > would have to write a program for.
>
> Sam,
>
> Oh, sounds like topics for the sysadmin cheatsheet. :-)
>
> I'm afraid to keep the length at one doubled sheet there is going to be
> a lot of useful stuff that won't make the cut.
>
> I briefly mention redirection so I might leave it at that, the pipe
> symbol though is a keeper. Thanks!
>
> Dennis
> --
> Adjunct Faculty
> Linux Operating System and System Administration
> Business and Computer Information Systems
> Mesa Community College

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson